Sysco SYGMA Warehouse Supervisor in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
US3063 Sygma Pennsylvania, a Division of The Sygma Network, Inc
Minimum Level of Education:
Minimum Years of Experience:
This position supervises warehouse and distribution activities to promote safe, efficient, and optimal utilization of our facilities, equipment, and personnel. Ensures work standards are met to receive, put away and ship merchandise in an effective and accurate method. Performs effective, timely communications to respective associates and management as necessary. Maintain and protect warehouse integrity and security. Performs all duties safely, accurately and meets set productivity goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Send/receive positive communications to responsible associates.
Monitor receiving and shipping procedures to ensure that products are unloaded, received, put away, selected, and loaded in the most efficient manner for the greatest customer satisfaction.
Communicate and reinforce policies and procedures (Coaching Maximizing Performance Program, Preferred Work Methods, and Best Business Practices) to ensure associates are trained in safety, job knowledge, and attainment of performance standards.
Plan, schedule to cover vacation, holidays, workers compensation, and other shift fill-ins, and coordinate personnel needed to accomplish all warehousing activities.
Monitor workflow, balance staff between all work areas to maintain an even flow, and monitor productivity and volume using the labor management system.
Monitor associate’s work (labor management) and perform associate evaluations on an on-going basis to coach them on expectations, reward above average performance, and identify and coach poor performance levels.
Reduce overtime by utilizing the Daily Planning Tool spreadsheet.
Work effectively with Transportation to maximize flow of receiving and shipping processes.
Work with Inventory Control and Operations Systems to ensure that all product integrity is maintained and is properly stored and rotated.
Foster an environment that encourages associate involvement, commits to quality of work from self and others, and provides leadership for mutual benefit of the company, customers, and associates.
Ensure that all required associate records, evaluations, and related documentation are filed in a timely, consistent, and accurate manner.
Act as a problem solver for associate relations issues and department needs.
Work effectively with Inventory Control to minimize warehouse shrink (product loss).
Responsible for appearance, maintenance, and security of warehouse and equipment.
Observe and enforce all safety rules to eliminate accidents and injuries.
Support the safety effort by participating on the safety committee and working with the safety department to resolve safety issues.
Ensure warehouse computers and RF (radio frequency) equipment are used in a safe and professional manner.
Understand and comply with all applicable company policies (i.e. attendance, Code of Business Conduct & Ethics, Associate Handbook, etc.
Understand and ensure compliance with all applicable State/Federal laws, regulations, and policies (i.e. OSHA, HACCP, etc.).
Supports food safety policies, standard operating procedures, and prerequisite food safety control programs that meet legal and quality requirements and industry best practices as defined in our Food Safety Commitment documentation.
Accept additional responsibilities or special projects as requested.
- Directly supervise fifteen to twenty-five associates. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the site’s policies and procedures and applicable state and federal laws. Recruit, interview, hire, and train associates to fulfill staffing requirements. Plan, assign and direct work, evaluate performance, reward, and coach subordinates
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill set, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact the Human Resource representative or hiring manager if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Internal non-exempt candidates must be in a lead position to qualify for the Supervisor position or possess prior lead or supervisory experience.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills between associates, peers, and site management.
Must have ability to plan and organize work and time, analyze, and disseminate numerical data, follow policies and procedures, possess basic math skills, and identify and solve problems. Must have basic computer knowledge.
Must pass a functional capacity test.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is required. Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, or three to five years warehouse related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Completion of a supervisory training program is also required.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations is required. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers is also required.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- It is expected that the incumbent will be able to work in a proactive manner, address issues, and solve problems by using previous education and experience in identifying appropriate actions. Problems will vary in complexity and there will not always be a clearly defined solution. Some solutions may require modifying past applications or creating a solution unique to the current situation but within the regulations that would apply.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Certification on material handling equipment is required, or the ability to become certified.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
The working conditions and physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to talk or hear and to use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse. The associate is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to sit. The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move between 41 and 50 pounds, and seldom lift and/or move 51 pounds and up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Job duties are performed in a warehouse environment and is frequently exposed to varying temperatures to include the freezer, cooler, and dry warehouse locations. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly exposed to fast moving material handling equipment or other mechanical equipment. The associate is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, vehicle emissions, contained toxic or caustic chemicals, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment usually is loud.
- This is a full-time position. The incumbent must have the ability to work a varying schedule which might include shift work (days or nights), weekdays or weekends, and some holidays. Work hours may vary, or change based on departmental requirements.
The position may require some travel to support business needs.
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
Candidates who start work in the months of May, June, July and August 2021 may be eligible for medical and prescription drug plan coverage effective on their date of hire*. Standard eligibility rules and timelines apply to all other Sysco benefits, including additional healthcare benefits options, retirement benefits, vacation, and paid sick leave. Please visit https://syscobenefits.com/careers to view additional benefits information. *Exceptions/exclusions may apply
HOW WE PROTECT OUR ASSOCIATES
Personal protective equipment and masks provided
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place
Sysco is the global leader in foodservice distribution. With over 57,000 associates and a fleet of over 13,000 vehicles, Sysco operates approximately 326 distribution facilities worldwide and serves more than 625,000 customer locations.
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We’re looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco is at the heart of food and service.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.